The WAAAF in action
The Women’s Australian Auxiliary Air Force (WAAAF) otherwise known as WAAAF was formed in 1941 and became an integral part of the 2OTU Mildura.
Between 1941 and 1946 almost 27,000 women around Australia enlisted in the Air Force as members of either the Royal Australian Air Force Nursing Service (RAAFNS) or the Women’s Auxiliary Australian Air Force (WAAAF).
The WAAAF of 2OTU were responsible for many non-combat roles. The WAAAF compound was located next to the old hospital and consisted of 8 huts with 26 women per hut.
Working through the war
Many of the WAAAF in service at 2OTU, Mildura worked in communications and maintenance positions and also filled jobs as clerks, cooks, and drivers.
The women became essential to the war effort and bright recruitment posters were promoted in the hope of encouraging more women between the ages of 18-32 to join the WAAAF.